Sunday, May 20, 2007

Seaside, Florida

Where the Gulf of Mexico touches the northwestern portion of Florida you will find a charming beach town called Seaside. This oceanfront vacation community is where Southerners seek refuge when they are looking for some good ole’ R & R. As a first time visitor, I found the most welcoming aspect of this town to be the cheerful vibe that radiates through the streets. I felt a sense of peace from the moment I arrived, which may have been rooted in the melodic sounds of the waves or the friendly hello from the stranger who walked by.

The heart of the town is an open-air amphitheater. If you can imagine a baseball diamond you can start to visualize the characteristics that make up the core of this town: beachfront cafes and bars are the grandstands; the infield is lined with boutiques and art galleries; the residential neighborhood begins in the outfield. At home plate you will find a post office that has such character it seems more like a dollhouse than a place to drop off your mail.

There are a variety of opportunities for entertainmen--water sports, cruiser bikes, fine dining, live music and dancing. But it is not the extracurricular activities that add the flavor to Seaside. The architecture and personality of the homes is what gives Seaside its flair. Here in Seaside, brick paved streets are lined with vibrantly painted beach cottages: flamingo pink, sunshine yellow, turquoise blue. Side-by-side these houses stand at attention, saluting the expanse of blue-green water. This town is so picturesque that even Hollywood recognized its special quality and used Seaside as the backdrop for the movie The Truman Show.

After living in two of the most famous oceanfront communities in the nation, San Diego and Miami, I consider myself a beach connoisseur. Seaside, Florida has exceeded my expectations. The unique blend of Southern hospitality with idyllic beaches has created a destination that is a must-see for anyone that is looking for a coastal getaway. I have not even left, and I am already planning my next trip back.

No comments: