Thursday, March 22, 2007

Côte d'Azur = great shopping!


Traveling for business is never as much fun as you think it will be. Usually your days are filled with meetings and little time is left to actually enjoy the place you are at. If you did have any free time it was usually only an hour here or there, but trust me I learned to take full advantage of the time I did get.
After traveling back and forth to Monaco for work for the past 3 years, I was able to map out some of the best shopping I have ever experienced.
For those who love to shop, I highly recommend a trip to the Côte d'Azur, otherwise known as the South of France. Stretching from Toulon to the Italian border, this spectacular coastline is filled with an array of high end designer shops and chic boutiques. This mixture of couture and retail fashion is what makes this region so unique.

Monaco - The second-smallest independent state in the world, the Principality of Monaco boasts more millionaires per capita than any other country. This exhibit of wealth brings forth some of the best designer shopping in the world - Valentino, Prada, Escada, and Gucci can all be found within blocks of each other. For those of us who have yet to reach the millionaire status, the window shopping is fabulous!

Cannes – Most widely known as home to the prestigious film festival, Cannes is a picturesque town centered on a bay. Cannes offers all the designer stores one would imagine in a city known for such elegance, but it also offers some wonderful possibilities for those of us on a budget. Located a few blocks back from the famous Boulevard de la Croisette, Rue d'Antibes runs the length of Cannes and is the place to head if your are interested in finding some boutiques that possess the European flair. My favorite is Carol. No matter what season I am there, I can always find about a dozen outfits I would love to buy, but alas there is that whole pesky budget thing. Needless to say I limit myself to 1 or 2 key pieces. Expect to pay $60 - $150 for a blouse.

St. Tropez – A modern medieval town, St. Tropez is the vacation destination of choice for celebrities and the immensely rich. The giant reputation of this little village leads one to expect grandeur at every turn, but you will be pleasantly surprised to see this town has maintained is classic roots. Shopping here is an all day affair because the stores are located within the original village, so every teeny alley has the potential to lead to another street. It is down these alleys you will find famous and unknown designers located next door to each other. There is no rhyme or reason where the stores are positioned; you just have to anticipate a day of wander-shopping. And when it’s time for a break, head back to Quai Jean Jaurès for a cocktail and canapé. Here you can sit back, relax and enjoy the view of the megayachts docked in the harbor.

No comments: